NOTE: This post contains outdated information. Installation instructions are now included with the UI.
Now that I have a (still sort of rough) version of the UI up for download on WoWInterface, maybe some of you would like to know how to make it look like it should. The basic issue, as far as I can tell, comes from the fact that many new addons (particularly those based on the Ace3 libraries) don't start up with a sensible default configuration. I'm going to get a little technical here, but I figure that kinda goes with the territory for a custom UI discussion, so we'll just dive right in.
Most of you probably know about WoWAce and their wonderful libraries. They've made it easy for developers to create lightweight, fast addons that are skinnable and have a high degree of customizability. To keep configurations consistent between characters and servers, they use a profiling mechanism. In the old days of Ace2, most addons start off with a Default profile that's used for every character. The nice thing about this is that once you've configured an addon, you don't have to mess with it again. As you can expect, this is really helpful when you're packaging up a UI for others to use.
Well, this has changed with Ace3. Now, when you open up your UI with a new character, the addons will have created a new profile from some internal default settings. If you want the settings from another toon, you have to copy them to the new profile on the new toon.
You can, however, also simply switch the profile to Default. I think I now have a sensible Default profile for all of the addons that matter. So here's what you need to do:
- Copy over the UI files as described in the README.txt file included with the UI, renaming and backing things up accordingly
- When you open up your new UI for the first time, things will probably look like a mess. The first thing you should do is configure addons to use the defaults.
- Hit ESC, and then click on the "Interface" button, and then the "AddOns" tab. You will now see a list with many of the addons in it. Look for the configuration parts for the following addons: Recount, ClassTimer, and Omen. Each of these should have an option called "Profiles," you may have to click the plus sign by the addon name to open up the rest of the options
- For each addon listed above, do the following: click "Profiles," then click the area that shows the current profile. Switch this to "Default" in the list it gives.
- Do the same for the rest of the addons I listed. You should also look at the SCT profiles, and copy over the "Daedhir-Duskwood" profile to the current one you're using.
This should at least give you a default layout. Please feel free to leave a comment on this post if anything here is wrong or confusing.